UNDER AN HOUR
It will take approx 30 min
to paint the average room ceiling.
Here's what you're going to need:
*We estimate you’ll need 1L of paint to cover a 4m2 area. We recommend using PPG Paints Easycoat Ceiling.
- Select the ceiling paint colour, taking colour from surrounding walls into consideration.
- The paint calculator on our website will help you determine the quantity of paint required for the area you will be painting.
- Before you begin, remove all light fittings and hang drop cloths over large lights or ceiling fans that can’t be removed.
- Place drop cloths on floors and on any furnishings that must remain in the room.
- Apply painter’s masking tape to fittings which can’t be removed and edges around cornices.
- New or bare plaster board will need to be sealed before applying a topcoat of ceiling paint.
- Once you’ve stirred the paint thoroughly, you’re ready to begin!
- Thoroughly stir the paint and begin painting cornices using an angled paint brush. Use the cutting-in technique demonstrated on the How To Paint A Wall video.
- Stir remaining paint in the can thoroughly before pouring into a paint tray.
- Dip half the roller into the paint tray, then roll back and forth in the tray to get an even coat of paint around the roller. Tap each side of the roller on the sides of the paint tray to remove any excess paint.
- Take the roller to the ceiling using a pole, making sure the roller is parallel to the surface.
- Paint the wall using either a W or M technique, starting a roller’s width out from the edge of the wall, and rolling from mid-height towards the ceiling, and then down towards the skirting. Each time this step is completed you should have enough paint on the roller to cover about a 1 metre width of the ceiling.
- Face towards the window or any natural light in the room when rolling, to easily see painted sections.
- After completing half the ceiling, reapply the roller over any already painted areas, to remove excess paint and track marks for an even finish.
- Repeat these steps for each 1 metre width section until the entire ceiling is completed.
- Make sure you wait a minimum of 2 hours before painting a second coat, and remember to allow the second coat to dry completely.